what’s on your mind? Call Sound Off, our weekly column for community comments, and share your thoughts at 352-337-0368.
• To be honest, religious schools are less diverse than public schools and state universities. Also, let’s be honest. Being president of a very small university is nothing compared to leading a major statewide/national institution. So how did the University of Florida choose a new president with an educational leadership background, the principal of a small Lutheran university half the size of Buchholz High School?
• What happened to the Florida Sunshine Act? We are in total secrecy regarding the recent election of the University of Florida president. Looks very shady to me.
• My neighborhood public library is the Alachua County Headquarters Library in downtown Gainesville. I asked her twice. Where’s the guard? ”Because I have never seen it. Usually there are guards while I’m working there, walking through the adult reading room, or in circulation areas and other places throughout the library. Do you need a security guard? Library staff are not trained to assess/handle security issues.
• The public is being duped into imposing a 1% tax on ballots for wild spaces, public places, road repairs, fire departments and affordable housing. This statement is misleading. Wild Space, Public Place He is valid until 2024. The rest is tax maxims for items that should already be in the county budget.
• The Sun interviewed Rep. Clemmons. Clemmons said she dislikes some of the bigoted culture war policies advanced by other Republicans. Despite that claim, he voted yes on all super-MAGA bills during the legislative period. But no one has denied the 2020 election bullshit or MAGA’s commitment to white supremacy. need to know. MAGA’s ideology supports neither.
• The League of Women Voters published an excellent voter guide in Sunday’s newspaper. Very helpful except when asking federal and state level candidates. Not a single Republican answered a single question. Every Democrat answered every question. how do i do this? Doesn’t the Republican Party have a platform? Or do they want to keep us in the dark?
• I encourage my fellow Americans to vote for policy issues, not social issues, in this election. Economy, crime, immigration and education should be our primary concerns. They affect all Americans.
• A letter to the editors of Sunday’s Sun said that President Biden “delivered a plane full of illegal immigrants to our city in Florida in the middle of the night.” If this is true, I want her to explain why our governor used my taxpayer money to send planes to Texas to weed out legitimate asylum seekers and fly them to Martha’s Vineyard. If indeed all these illegal immigrants were dumped on our land by Biden, why didn’t the governor use this money to get these people out of Florida and move them to Martha’s Vineyard? There is none.
• I retired in 2002. Two things came to mind. One is inflation and medical insurance costs. Everything was going great for quite a few years until I got Obamacare. This tripled my insurance from about $800 to over $2,000. It was great, but I still pay almost as much as I did before Obamacare came along. inflation. Even under Obama and Trump it was under control and now we’re 8.3%… my money is gone.
• I recorded and watched the final hearing of the Commission on January 6th. I would like to thank all the members for their hard work and courage.
join the conversation
Letters to the Editor represent readers’ opinions on news articles and other articles published by The Sun. Share your thoughts by sending a letter to the editor (maximum 200 words) to email@example.com. The letter should include the author’s full name and city of residence. Additional guidelines for submitting letters and lengthy guest columns can be found on her website at: bit.ly/sunopinionguidelines.
Journalism is important. Your support is important.
Get a Gainesville Sun digital subscription. Includes must-see content from Gainesville.com and Gatorsports.com, the latest news and updates on all your devices, and eEdition access.visit www.gainesville.com/subscribenow sign up